On March 13, 2017 11:30 am – 1:00 pm The LWVCC hosted a community event on Chaffee County Transportation Issues now and in the future. The public was invited.
On Monday, February 13th the Chaffee County, Colorado Commissioners Dave Potts, Keith Baker, and Greg Felt spoke about current and future issues facing our county. They also answered questions from the audience. The public was invited. The League of Women Voters of Chaffee County invites you to view the video below.
Are you wondering what are the legal and business issues confronting marijuana businesses? The League of Women Voters Chaffee County hosted a public meeting March 21, Noon-1:00 to learn about these topics. Kat McQuillan who operates the Tenderfoot Health Collective, which sells both medical and recreational marijuana and hemp products was the speaker. She opened this Salida business in 2009. The meeting was held in the United Methodist Church, 228 E. 4th St. Salida.
Meet Mayor Jim Dickson from Salida and
Mayor Joel Benson from Buena Vista
The League of Women Voters hosted a meeting with the Chaffee County Mayors from Salida and Buena Vista on September 21st, 2015.
Sept. 15, 2014 League of Woman Voters – Chaffee County meeting at the Pinon Room, Buena Vista, CO. The subject was Workforce housing, Linda Mulka and Diane Lively Co-Chairs.
At the Monday, January 13th League meeting, which was open to the public, Commissioners Dennis Giese, Frank Holman, and Dave Potts discussed current issues, such as…
• Results of the public hearing on the Land Use Code, scheduled for January 7
• Status of the Hill Ranch restoration
• What role the commissioners play in the CDOT restructuring of Hwy 24 through BV and of Hwy 50 through Poncha Springs and Salida
• Reasons for banning—until after December 2014—the submission, acceptance, or processing of applications and the licensing of recreational marijuana businesses
• How the county is involved in Brown’s Canyon
• Sharing the costs of emergency services among the municipalities, the commissioners’ role in making decisions about the service, and whether the hospital is taking over ambulance service.
Link to Chaffee County web site for commissioner information.
Link to agendas and minutes for commissioner meetings, documents which are on the County Clerk’s web site. Click on the tab in the upper left corner: “Clerk to the Board.”
On Monday, December 9, 2013 at the Sangre de Cristo Electric Association Community Room, the League of Women Voters of Chaffee County hosted a panel of mayors, representing each municipality in Chaffee County, who updated citizens about critical issues. Joel Benson, mayor of Buena Vista; Jim Dickson, mayor of Salida; and Jerry L’Estrange, the town administrator from Poncha Springs made up the panel. They discussed the most pressing issues for their municipality and their ideas for dealing with those issues. If you missed the meeting you can view the video. It’s an opportunity to learn how effective our elected officials plan to be at putting tax dollars to work. The meeting allowed time for questions from the audience and further discussion which is also on the video.
Tagged chaffee county, league, league of woman voters, league of woman voters of Chaffee County, league of women voters, league of women voters of Chaffee County, lwv, lwvcc, Mayors, Poncha Springs, Salida Mayor
The Affordable Care Act: How’s That Working for Us?
On Monday, November 11, 2013 at the United Methodist Church in Salida, Colorado, the guest speaker, Cheryl Walker, Manager of Connect for Health Colorado in Chaffee and Lake Counties. used a PowerPoint presentation to explain how Colorado, like 15 other states, have developed its own website, called Connect for Health Colorado.
She also discussed:
- The current status of the Affordable Care Act in Colorado,
- The realities of the website—also known as the Health Insurance Marketplace or Exchange, and
- The intended consequences of the Affordable Care Act.
Connect for Health Colorado: If you are curious about the website exchange, you
can browse insurance plans anonymously, without signing in and without creating an account, by taking the following steps:
- Go to http://connectforhealthco.com/
- Click on the Individuals & Families picture.
- Click on Shop Now.
- At the bottom, center of the page find Do You Qualify for Financial Assistance OR at the top right of the page click on Browse Plans
- Enter Zip Code.
- Click Do I Qualify?
- Read the next page and then click Continue
- Then follow the prompts.
Cheryl manages an office with two assistants, whose sole mission is to help residents sign up for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act. Their salaries are provided through a grant that Walker wrote, requesting $250,000 for hiring staff to provide outreach and assistance, in person, to people who need help signing up for insurance. Her office is in Room 143 of the Touber Building, 448 East First St., Salida. She can be reached at 539-7290 or email@example.com.
Senator Gail Schwartz briefs the League on the New Colorado Voter Act HB13-1303. It is called the Colorado Voter Access and Modernized Elections Act and was signed by Governor John Hickenlooper last July. More info at: Fox31, May 10, 2013 [See also The Huffington Post] Sen. Schwartz also discussed water and other local issues with the people in attendance.